A further 25 homes have been lost to bushfires in NSW taking the total number of losses this season to almost 2400.
The NSW Rural Fire Service says assessments carried out since Friday have revealed an additional 25 homes were destroyed and almost 300 saved in the most recent blazes.
The death toll from the state’s unprecedented bushfire season climbed to 25 last week after the body of a 59-year-old man was found in a home on the state’s South Coast on Friday.
The man’s remains were found in a house in Bodalla, southwest of Moruya, after a bushfire raged through the area on Thursday.
Three US firefighters also died on Thursday afternoon when their aerial water tanker crashed northeast of Cooma after it had dropped a load of retardant on a ridge.
The RFS on Tuesday said warm, dry and windy weather had led to a total fire ban being issued for the southern ranges.
There’s very high fire danger in the central and southeast regions of NSW.
“Worsening conditions are forecast for later in the week so prepare now,” the fire service tweeted.
Warm, dry and windy weather is forecast for today, with a Total Fire Ban in place for the Southern Ranges and widespread Very High fire danger, particularly in the central and south east of the state. Worsening conditions are forecast for later in the week so prepare now. #NSWRFS pic.twitter.com/H22hBdQYJF
— NSW RFS (@NSWRFS) January 27, 2020
There are currently 55 fires burning across NSW with one “watch and act” alert issued for a blaze in the Orroral Valley in the Namadgi National Park southwest of Canberra.