A Sydney veterinary clinic has issued a serious warning to pet owners about a rare virus that’s killing our pet dogs.

Leptospirosis is a disease that can prove fatal and is believed to be the cause of death for five dogs in Sydney. It can also be transferred to humans who come in contact with the infected dogs.

It is most commonly contracted if animals come into contact with puddles of water, soil or food has been contaminated with rat or mice urine.

After cases of leptospirosis were detected in the Surry Hills, Redfern Darlinghurst and surrounding areas, Vets on Crown in Surry Hills decided to post a warning for pet owners to their Facebook page.

“[We] are urging everyone in the Surry Hills and surrounding areas to consider getting your pets vaccinated against leptospirosis and to encourage your friends and family to contact their local vets to enquire about getting their pets vaccinated too,” they wrote.

Vets on Crown said that the most common symptoms to look out for in your pets initially included lethargy, vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive drinking or loss of appetite.

Treatment is available after contracting the disease but is very intense and not always successful, according to the clinic.


“Leptospirosis is a bacteria which can rapidly multiply once it has entered the bloodstream and tissue – which if untreated can result in kidney failure, liver damage and/or even death,” the post continued.

“While typically your cats and dogs would be most at risk, it is also zoonotic, able to infect animals and humans alike.”

According to another Veterinary clinic, Potts Point Vet, two cases of the disease in Surry Hills recently came about after both dogs frequented the same park, Ward Park on Devonshire St.

Vets on Crown concluded their warning by saying that is you feel like you’re in an at risk area, to speak with your local vet immediately about vaccinating against the dangerous virus.

“And if your pet or an animal you have been in contact with has been diagnosed with Leptospirosis we also advise you to visit your local GP due to risk of zoonosis.”