Join more than a million people lining the Sydney Harbour Foreshore, as well as over a billion watching across Australia and around the world, as Sydney welcomes in 2020.
PLAN YOUR NIGHT:
1. Choose a spot: There are many places to celebrate check out our vantage point map.
2. Plan your trip: Check changes to public transport and traffic and find out how to get to your destination.
3. Know how to get home: Walking in the city will be different. Some streets will be closed to pedestrians. Buses, trains ferries and the light rail may change services and departure locations. Leave a little later to avoid the crowds and be prepared for a longer walk.
4. Get ready: Get tips on what to take and check the restrictions at the vantage point you have chosen.
5. Go: Stay connected on the day follow @cityofsydney on Twitter, sign up to our Facebook event. Volunteers will be around to assist. Follow signs and announcements to get where you need to go.
6. Keep our city sparkling – leave nothing to waste. Use reusable containers, take your rubbish with you and recycle any packaging. BYO water bottles for refills.
7.00pm – Fire tug water display
A tug boat blasts tonnes of water into the sky, with the spray creating a striking image against the setting sun.
7.30pm – Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony
Gadigal Elders welcome visitors to Gadigal land, inviting all to this age-old ritual of purification and unity.
8pm – Air Display
Flying ace Matt Hall thrills the crowds in a spectacular aerial display just for New Year’s Eve.
8.30pm – Pylon projections and lighting effects
Projections on the Sydney Harbour Bridge pylons enliven the landmark throughout the night. Lighting effects on the eastern side dazzle the harbour foreshore.
9pm – Family fireworks
The first fireworks allow our littlest spectators, who may nod off a little earlier, the chance to see a fantastic display. The display includes fireworks released from barges and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Includes the winning entry from the ABC’s Design Your Own Firework competition. Tune in to the synchronised simulcast on KIIS 1065.
9.08pm – Calling Country
A harbour-wide ceremony embracing and honouring the Dreaming of this place and our relationship to it. Enjoy live performances from the ABC concert at the Sydney Opera House and spectacular pylon projections.
9.15pm – Harbour of Light Parade
Sydney Harbour is illuminated with ships gliding across the water, enchanting spectators of all ages. Each vessel is decorated with colour changing light, dazzling the crowds and adding to the unique choreography as they dance in the harbour.
Midnight – Fireworks display
We celebrate the start of the new year in spectacular fashion. The display features a huge range of pyrotechnic effects launched from firing points on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House and barges in the harbour. Watch a live stream. Tune in to the synchronised simulcast on KIIS 1065.
Find more information here!