Parramatta are reportedly set to be fined up to $500,000 for breaching the NRL salary cap.
It is understood the NRL have confirmed the Eels face penalties of almost half a million dollars in relation to last year’s roster.
Among those reportedly being paid out are former players Reni Maitua, Matt Keating and Cheyse Blair.
Eels coach Brad Arthur said prior to Thursday’s revelation changes needed to be made to the game’s second-tier salary cap of $440,000.
“I’m not sure what the best answer is,” he said.
“But it does make it difficult when you’ve got people training, with a view of they want to put pressure on your top squad to play in the NRL.
“It’s a little bit disheartening on them knowing the opportunities are limited because of your salary cap.”
Eels chief executive Scott Seward has told smh.com.au that these cap issues had restricted their recruitment plans, but the club had still managed to land the signing of high profile Manly half Kieran Foran.
“We’re probably still compromised in 2015 and we’re only really coming out of it in 2016,” Seward said.
“That’s not to say we’re not going to be in the market but there’s going to be some hard decisions that have to be made and you won’t see the Eels out there having major splashes for marquee players because we just can’t fit them in.”
And that’s no one’s fault but the club’s. We’re frustrated we can’t take those big steps forward because we’ve got to fix the issues.”
This latest story comes as the club has dealt with troubled boardroom elections and in-fighting, while also struggling on the field this year following the departure of superstar fullback Jarryd Hayne to the NFL.