Tyrrell Top Cop Faces Probe Over Misconduct Allegations
The inquest into the disappearance of toddler William Tyrrell will go ahead as scheduled despite the lead detective being replaced by NSW's most senior homicide cop.
Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin, who commanded dozens of officers on Strikeforce Roseann for four years, has been taken off the case while he's investigated over allegations of misconduct.
He denies all wrongdoing and has continued to work at police headquarters since the internal inquiry began earlier this year.
Det Insp Jubelin was expected to be the public face of NSW Police when the long-awaited coronial inquest into William's disappearance begins on March 25.
But police command has now put their "most senior homicide" investigator in charge - Detective Chief Inspector David Laidlaw.
"We have to ensure the inquest gets started," Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith told reporters in Sydney on Friday.
"We can't have an allegation of misconduct and not deal with it. We need to let that work its course and we also need to not derail the matter."
Det Insp Jubelin has been interviewed by the Professional Standards Command over his conduct on Strikeforce Rosann.
He's facing allegations relating to staff management and using a mobile phone without a warrant to record someone, AAP understands.
The boy in the Spiderman suit, as William came to be known, vanished while playing in his grandmother's yard at Kendall on the NSW mid-north coast on September 12, 2014.
He was three.
Det Insp Jubelin was not just in charge of the strike force but also the 15,000 pieces of evidence amassed by the investigation.
Mr Smith said Det Insp Jubelin's welfare was important but so to was the work of the strike force.
"There were 30 people who worked on this job and I also need to worry about the welfare of those people," the assistant commissioner said.
"They have put thousands of hours into this investigation and really now it's a matter for the coroner."