Toddler Nearly Dies After Being Locked In Hot Car
Police are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding a terrifying incident that nearly killed a toddler in NSW yesterday.
The young girl nearly died after being locked inside a sweltering car on the NSW Central Coast for a number of hours on Tuesday.
A woman reportedly called emergency services at about 1pm on Monday, saying that her three-year-old daughter had gone missing from her bedroom in Tuggerawong.
Emergency services were told that the bedroom window and fly-screen had been left open.
The young girl was eventually found semi-conscious in the locked family car outside the home where she is believed to have been for up to two hours.
At the time that she was discovered the external temperature had reached about 30C at the time.
Four ambulance crews and police rushed to the home and the girl was immediately given a cold shower in a bid to bring her body temperature down.
She was then rushed to Wyong Hospital in a critical condition but is believed to have improved since then.
NSW police are now investigating the incident.
As the hot weather continues, parents and carers are being warned to be extra careful with children and pets during the heat as temperatures inside a hot vehicle can climb much higher than those outside very quickly.
On a typical summer day, the temperature inside a car, even one with the windows rolled down slightly, can quickly rise above 50 to 60 degrees.
At those temperatures, children are at a great risk for heat stroke, which can lead to a high fever, dehydration, seizures, stroke or even death.
Anyone who sees a child or pet left unattended in a vehicle is being urged to contact 000.