• Kyle & Jackie O in the morning. Non Stop Hits All Day
  • Listen on
Non-stop hits all day.

KIIS 1065

  • now playing:
    Kyle & Jackie O in the morni..
    KIIS1065
  • Listen on
MENU

Products We Are Being Told NOT to Buy This Christmas

Tis the season to be jolly – but this list is not so jolly.

Consumer advocacy group Choice, have released a list of products that are being labeled as ‘dodgy’ and could take the sparkle out of your festive season.

Dubbed ‘12 recalls of Christmas’, the list is urging shoppers to be on the lookout for products that aren’t up to scratch following a 12 per cent hike in recalls this year alone.  

1. OZSALE KIDS’ NIGHTWEAR

undefined

Choice has urged parents to pick carefully when buying the kids new pyjamas. Ozsale’s Orange Superhero Pyjamas are singled out on this list as they do not display the mandatory fire hazard warning labels.

“Worryingly, the fabric and the length of the cape present a very real risk of injury, as it could easily brush against a heat source and very quickly catch fire,” Choice warn.

Federal Court ordered Ozsale to pay penalties of $500,000 in August for failing to comply with the Australian mandatory safety standard.

2. SWAROVSKI OCTA CRYSTAL PENDANT LIGHT

undefined

Scratch this off your Chrissy list. “The crystal in the light fixture can detach if damaged during shipment and if it detaches and falls, it poses an impact hazard,” Choice said. 

3. FLASHING DUCK WITH LED LIGHT

undefined

According to Choice, the flashing duck, sold through Priceline, contains a small battery which could become dislodged.

“If this occurs, there is a risk the button battery could be ingested by a child,” Choice warn.

4. KOGAN’S 3DR SOLO SMART DRONE QUADCOPTER

With Drones becoming more and more popular, this particular one should be avoided. The ACCC has confirmed componets of the drone have not been tested or approved by Australian electrical certification.

5. INFLATABLE FROG

undefined

Mesco’s & RPC Promo’s inflatable frogs were used as promotion material nationally at agricultural shows, but Choice have warn that the inflation plugs can be removed by a child, presenting a potential choking hazard. 

6. SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 7

undefined

More than 50,000 Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have been recalled by Samsung after the device was discovered to pose a serious fire risk. 

7. METAGENICS NASOCLEAR

undefined

The medicine product combines a saline solution scented with essential oils.

But Choice has pointed out, some products may contain Golden staph.

“Golden staph can cause life-threatening infections, such as pneumonia, meningitis or bloodstream infections,” Choice warn.

8. BREVILLE’S FAST/SLOW COOKER

undefined

Breville were forced to recall this Fast Slow Cooker due to a risk of scalding from hot liquids.

Choice said anyone who has one in their home should contact Breville customer service to arrange for a replacement gasket kit.

The recalled applied only to the white lid gasket in the model BPR200.

However, the Fast Slow Pro BPR700BSS and the redesigned Fast Slow Cooker BPR650 were not affected.

9. ZOGGS BOBIN SWIM JACKET AND ZOGGS SWIM JACKET

undefined

Choice have warned, these floating aids sunk when it came to meeting safety requirements.

“These Zoggs jackets fail to display warning labels on their outer surfaces and do not comply with Australian and New Zealand Standard AS/NZ 1900:2014 flotation aids for water familiarisation and swimming tuition,” Choice said. 

10. SPOTLIGHT’S RUSTIC CABIN BIRCH CANDLE

undefined

Spotlight’s Bouclair Home-Rustic Cabin Birch Candle has birch surrounding the candleholder, which could catch fire and remain alight longer than permitted by the ban on combustible candle holders, Choice warn.

This could result in burns, serious injury or death if the candle catches fire.

11. KMART SPIRAL VEGETABLE CUTTER

undefined

Gadget lovers beware! Choice suggest anyone with one of these in their kitch drawer should get rid of it immediately.

“Kmart’s spiral vegetable cutter has a manufacturing issue that may cause the blade to break during use,” it said.

“If the defect occurs, blade pieces may become mixed with food, posing an ingestion and laceration hazard.”

12. ADAIRS KIDS’ BEAN BAG COVERS AND ADAIRS ADULT BEAN BAG COVERS

undefined

A warning to parents! Choice have advised these bean bags have failed to display very important warnings that they aren’t safe sleeping surfaces “for an infant under 12 months of age”.

Choice are urging consumers to verge on the caution side when in Christmas spending mode,

“Consumers should take every step to ensure what they’re buying is safe,” Mr Godfrey said.

“To help do this they can check independent product review and comparison websites like Choice where products are tested and safety failings are highlighted or the Product Safety Australia website for recalls.”

Source: news.com.au

Share this: