Teenager Electrocuted After Walking Near Light Rail In CBD
An investigation has been opened after a 15-year-old girl suffered an electric shock and had to be hospitalised after walking near the light rail construction in Sydney’s CBD. It’s believed that an ‘exposed wire’ could be to blame.
Anna Lambden had been walked towards the train station on Sunday afternoon in damp socks after taking off her uncomfortable high heels when the incident occurred.
As the girl was waiting at the intersection of George Street and Ultimo Road near Haymarket she felt a sudden shock of pain and pins and needles coursing through her body.
“She felt it started at her legs and then it travelled upwards,” said the girl’s mother Viola Morris. “She was screaming out and then she dropped into the foetal position with her legs tucked up next to her.”
Several witnesses attempted to help the girl but they allegedly received shocks too when they touched her.
NSW ambulance paramedics were called to the scene and Anna was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital suffering from injuries that girl’s mother said were “consistent with an industrial amount of electricity”.
Thankfully, doctors told Ms Morris that the fact that her daughter survived the initial shock meant that she shouldn’t suffer from any ongoing injuries. However, Anna was still experiencing pain that was affecting her sleep on Monday night.
“She’s really shaken by the whole thing because she thought she was going to die,” revealed Ms Morris. “She’s just 15 years old…she’s a really nice kid and she was just innocently trying to walk to the trail station and she just got struck - it’s awful.”
Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) have opened an investigation into the incident and have said that an exposed wire is believed to be the cause of the shock.
“Once Roads and Maritime was made aware of the incident, staff attended the site and made the area safe after identifying an issue with an exposed wire,” said an RMS spokesperson. “Roads and Maritime will ensure a thorough investigation is carried out.”