KIIS 1065
NON-STOP KIIS

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Teen Dies Following Drug Overdose At Sydney Dance Festival

A dance festival held at Sydney Olympic Park over the weekend has ended in tragedy after a 19-year-old man was killed and three others were left fighting for life in hospital following suspected drug overdoses.

Callum Brosnan had been attending the Knockout Games of Destiny event on Saturday night when he had a fit on a train platform, hours after allegedly taking drugs.

The teen was rushed to Concord Hospital but he died in the early hours of Sunday morning. Three others, all under the age of 25, are in a critical but stable condition in Westmead Hospital.

Mr Brosnan had just been accepted into the Conservatorium of Music and his family have been left completely distraught at his sudden death.

One family member said that they were doing their best to cope following the death of another family member just two weeks prior.

“I’ve just suggest they all have a Panadol, put their heads down, they’ve been up since whenever and I think it’s the shock setting in,” said the relative.

The woman also had a message for NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, saying that she needed to “stop the drugs”.

Over 18,000 people attended the dance party in Sydney with 200 searches conducted police resulting in 62 people being found with drugs in their possession.

Officers charged several people, including one 25-year-old man who was allegedly carrying 145 MDMA capsules.

Assistant Commissioner Peter Thurtell said that police will continue to try and stop the use of drugs at festivals.

“Police and emergency services continue to send warning messages about illegal drugs, and many festival-goers are choosing to ignore them,” said Asst Comm. Thurtell.

“We will continue to have a strong presence at festivals and dance parties with the wellbeing and safety of attendees our number one priority.”

This comes after two people died from overdoses at Sydney’s Defqon.1 festival in Sydney earlier this year.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian has spoken out saying that it’s disappointing that young people still aren’t getting the message.

“Of course we want young people to have fun but don’t take an illegal substance, it can kill you,” the NSW Premier told reporters in Sydney.

“That’s why we took the measure to increase penalties for people supplying these illegal substances to a maximum of 20 years.”

However, Ms Berejiklian has remained strong with the governments stance on pill testing, saying that it just won’t work.

“Unfortunately, we know that pill testing won’t work because it’ll give people a green light to taking substances, which in the end could still kill them,” she said.

A report is being prepared for the coroner over the teenager’s death.

Share this: