KIIS 1065

Now Playing:

Listen on

Three People Killed In Sydney Storm

The torrential weather that lashed Sydney and coastal NSW yesterday in a super storm has claimed the lives of three people in separate incidents.

A 14-year-old boy, an SES volunteer and a driver sadly passed away during the historic storm yesterday that caused havoc across the state.

The teenage boy was killed during a two-car crash in Sydney’s North Shore yesterday. Police have confirmed that the teen, who was not named, was a passenger in the crash at Thornleigh.

A report is being prepared for the coroner after a NSW SES volunteer died after collapsing while on duty.

Commissioner Mark Smethurst and the NSW SES family sent “heartfelt condolences” in a statement to the media.

The third person died after his car collided with a pole in South Wentworthville just after 7pm. Emergency services attended the scene but were unable to revive him.

A male passenger in the crash was left uninjured.

A number of roads surrounding the the area were closed as police attempted to determine the cause of the crash. Anyone who may have seen the crash or have dash cam footage to come forward.

A police officer’s leg was also broken yesterday when a tree fell down as she was helping motorists trapped on a flooded road.

Sydney copped the most rain ever dumped in a single day in the past 34 years with more than 100mm falling in just two hours during Wednesday morning.

The SES responded to nearly 1000 calls on Wednesday with most due to storm damage and fallen trees.

Frustrated emergency services urged NSW drivers to slow down or avoid all non-essential travel in the afternoon.

NSW Ambulance Acting Superintendent Steve Vaughan said paramedics attended four times the normal amount of car crashes on Wednesday.

"Everyone has somewhere to be but if there is floodwater across the road, please stay out of it," he told reporters.

Several roads, including the Anzac Bridge, were closed or were cut to one lane while hundreds of services by rail or air were cancelled - including 150 flights in or out of Sydney Airport.

Mosman recorded more than 145mm of rain, while Chatswood had 133mm, including 89mm within an hour.

Close to 100mm fell at Observatory Hill in Sydney's CBD between 6am and 8am - easily eclipsing the November average of 83.8mm.

While the capital was mostly spared after 10am, parts of Shoalhaven received more than 150mm within the six hours to 3pm.

More than 10,000 homes and businesses lost power due to fallen trees, lightning strikes and flood-affected wiring in Sydney and the Hunter region.

About 3800 were still in the dark by mid-afternoon, and at 9pm Ausgrid was still working to restore power to 3250 homes.

Ausgrid crews responded to more than 120 hazards, including downed trees and powerlines, across the network.

Crews planned to work through the night to restore power and were expected to still be continuing repairs in areas including Mosman to install new power poles and restring wires.

Crews also planned to work overnight in the CBD to repair two underground substations which flooded during Wednesday's torrential rain.

An overflowing weir on the Parramatta River led to ferries being cancelled between Sydney Olympic Park and Parramatta, while Cockatoo Island was also closed.

Rail services in the inner west were cancelled due to standing water and North Shore trains were limited as overhead wiring underwent repairs after a fallen tree.

The low pressure system which caused havoc for commuters and emergency services on Wednesday is expected to move on from the NSW coast by Thursday morning, easing conditions in Sydney, the Central Coast and the Hunter region.

Isolated shower activity is expected to continue but with just a few millimetres projected and no danger of localised or flash flooding.

With AAP. 

Share this: