KIIS 1065

Now Playing:

Listen on

Mother Avoids Jail After Baby Swallowed Cocktail Of Drugs

A Sydney woman has managed to avoid jail time after her young child accidentally swallowed a life-threatening amount of drugs in their family home.

Back in December 2016 the toddler had just finished eating his breakfast when he accidentally ingested ice from a discarded pipe.

The two-year-old was left unresponsive and suffering seizures. The boy’s mother rushed him to hospital but told doctors that he had ingested paint thinner.

Tests later proved that the baby’s reaction was due to a cocktail of drugs, including methamphetamine and GHB. As a result of his mothers lies, the boy’s treatment was delayed.

However, when the mother faced Penrith Local Court on Tuesday she was spared jail time and instead handed a two-year good behaviour bond.

The woman was also issued an AVO on behalf of her son after the magistrate ordered no contact except as approved by the Family and Community Services minister. The boy was placed in his grandmother’s care.

Thankfully, the young boy has managed to make a full recovery but back in 2016 his condition was so critical that he was taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital at Randwick and was placed in an induced coma.

Magistrate Stephen Corry found that there was no evidence to suggest that the mother had been a drug user and it appeared that they may have belonged to her then boyfriend.

The court heard that the mother was extremely remorseful and suffers PTSD from the incident. She also has no prior convictions.

Earlier this year the woman pleaded guilty to recklessly failing to provide for her child causing danger or death, an offence which typically carries a maximum of five years behind bars.

Share this: