KIIS 1065
NON-STOP KIIS

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Model Loses Limb After Leaving Tampon In Overnight

Three years ago, 24-year-old Lauren Wasser was living her dream life, having graced the cover of Italian Vogue when she was only two years old, the five-foot-eleven woman would fill her days with acting classes, modelling, athletics and nights out with friends.

Fast forward to now and Lauren is still beautiful, but she is without one of her legs because she suffered toxic shock syndrome after leaving her tampon in for too long.

It's the thing that women were told about, but never really believed would happen to them - but for Wasser, it's a reality.

Lolz

A photo posted by ✨Lauren Wasser✨ (@loverunswild) on

On October 3 2012, the Daily Mail reports that Wasser ran down to a grocery store to stock up on tampons. She says that she knew the rules about changing tampons, and did so in the morning, afternoon and evening that day. However, later that night, Lauren started to feel very ill.

She drove herself home and went to bed. The next thing she remembers is waking up to the police pounding on her front door. A friend and the police found her face down with a fever of a whopping 107 degrees.

She was then rushed to hospital, where doctors stated her internal organs were shutting down. She had actually suffered a massive heart attack and doctors predicted she was around 10 minutes from death.

The medical team working on Wasser were baffled, until an infectious disease specialist nearby asked if she had a tampon in.

They took a sample and sent it to the lab, where they discovered she had suffered toxic shock syndrome.

Because TSS (a complication of bacterial infections) is rarer today, affecting around 1 person per 100,000, the syndrome does not often make headlines.

According to the Daily Mail, Lauren said that she does not remember being put into a medically induced coma, or friends coming in to pay their last respects. She does remember waking up with 80 pounds of fluids being pumped into her, and black toxins pumping out.

Waking up with my cuddle buddy!lolz

A photo posted by ✨Lauren Wasser✨ (@loverunswild) on

That wasn't the end of it either.

Quickly, Wasser's infection developed into gangrene, and she was forced to have her right leg amputated below the knee.

Now, she is suing the manufacturer of the tampons, in the hope that her story will better inform young women about the risks of leaving your tampon in for too long.

Wasser claims that the warnings on the tampon box were not clear enough. A report on the Daily Mail states the brand's warning reads: 'Change your tampon every four to eight hours, including overnight', which the Wasser family argues is confusing since it can mean longer than eight hours, especially when it comes to teens who sleep in on weekends.

Her wish is for people to be more informed about Toxic Shock Syndrome and what it can mean for you.

'You know cigarettes can kill you, so when you use them, it's your choice,' she said.
'Had I known all the info about TSS, I would never have used tampons.'

Source: Daily Mail

Images via Facebook

Share this: