KIIS 1065

Now Playing:

Listen on

Patient Fluffs During Surgery, Sets The Theatre On Fire

How's this for a horrendous hospital story: A patient who FARTED during a routine procedure allegedly sparked a fire in the theatre, causing serious burns to her nether regions.

The incident is said to have taken place at Tokyo Medical University Hospital in April of this year and prompted an external inquiry as to how exactly the bizarre series of events was set into motion; according to Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, the female patient, in her 30s, was undergoing an operation that required the use of a laser.

While the equipment was in use - and being applied to her cervix - the unnamed woman passed gas, which ignited the laser and set the woman alight. 

Reports say the patient suffered burns to much of her lower body, including her waist and legs. 

"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation [room], it ignited with the irradiation of the laser," the inquiry found. "The burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

It's not the first time something like this has happened; as the body's muscles relax under anaesthesia, patients farting on the operating table is a common occurrence. 

One man in Denmark can attest to that, after an inopportune fluff set his genitals on fire during an op removing a mole from his bum.

Just one more thing to worry about when heading to the dermatologists, then. 

Share this: