Mum SLAMS Popular Kids' Shoe Brand After Her Son Lost A Toe
A horrified mother has taken to Facebook to slam a popular shoe brand after her son was severely injured while wearing them.
In the since-deleted post, Helen Wood blamed the Crocs that five-year-old Stanley was wearing on a recent holiday to Dubai for trapping his foot in an escalator.
According to Ms Woods, the corner of Stanley's shoe was caught and got dragged into the descending staircase, causing devastating damage.
"Stanley has lost his big toe and has extensive tissue and ligament damage to the underside of his foot," Ms Woods wrote. "He will need multiple operations to reconstruct the remaining part of his foot."
The horrendous incident forced Stanley and his mother to remain in the UAE while the child recovered from the amputation.
"The entire tendon got pulled out right up to the calf muscle as the force of the machine was so strong," Stanley's plastic surgeon Mohan Rangaswamy told Gulf News.
A reconstruction shows how Stanley sustained his injuries
After some further research, Ms Woods says, she was shocked to learn Stanley isn't the only child to have been injured by wearing the popular rubber shoe.
"Our holiday turned into a nightmare and it all happened so quickly giving us hardly any time to react," Ms Woods told the publication. "We thought wearing these soft closed rubber sandals was safer for kids as it protected the feet.
"When Stanley lost his toe, we realised that we are not the only parents dealing with this and there have been several lawsuits against a famous company that produces these colourful, soft rubber sandals that kids love so much."
She added: "Child Crocs and similar style shoes are potentially lethal and letting your children wear them on escalators is putting them in real danger."
According to a recent consumer safety product report, there are 186 cases against one soft rubber footwear company in the US for similar incidences of children wearing the shoes and becoming trapped in escalators.