KIIS 1065
NON-STOP KIIS

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Baby Dolphin Dies After Being Used As A Prop In Selfies

A baby dolphin has tragically died on a beach in Mojacar, Spain after tourists removed it from the water to take selfies with it.

The female calve had been swimming in shallow water after becoming separated from her mother when the beachgoers began patting and picking up the animal to take photos with it.

A local non-profit animal advocate group, Equinac, revealed the shocking incident on their Facebook page saying that hundreds of tourists were "obsessed" with getting a photo with the dolphin as they pulled the calve from it's natural habitat.

The group wrote, "Humans are the most irrational animal there is. Many people are unable to feel empathy for a living being which is frightened, starving hungry, without its mother and terrified.

"In their selfishness, all they want is to photograph it and touch it, even if the animal is suffering from stress."

A lifeguard on duty is said to have "lost his nerve when he saw hundreds of people rushing towards the animal."

Animal experts from Equinac were called to the scene fifteen minutes after the incident first occurred however the baby dolphin had unfortunately already passed away.

The wildlife group continued to write on their Facebook page, "The animal was submitted to the curiosity of those who wanted to photograph and touch it.

"The photographs showed children touching the animal, unintentionally covering the spiracle. It's not an animal for children or adults to caress.

"Cetaceans are very susceptible to stress and crowding round it to take photos and to touch it causes them a big shock which greatly accelerates a cardiorespiratory failure, which is what happened.

"We're not saying that the bathers were responsible for it becoming stranded. It became stranded because it was sick or because it lost it's mother, without whom it cannot survive.

"But crowding round to photograph and touch it of course causes these animals to become extremely stressed."

Let this devastating incident be a reminder to all of us to be respectful to all animals and to be mindful while we're in their habitat.

Share this: